Saturday, November 12, 2011

Genesis Illustrated by R. Crumb

So my parents just bought me R. Crumb's "The Book of Genesis Illustrated" and had it shipped to my house. I was very much looking forward to reading it. I lived in the 60s as a teenager and appreciated Crumb's illustration, and when the book arrived I was exited about it.

Here's the scoop: I was expecting the whole book to be Crumb's strange comic book interpretation of Genesis. I expected to be a little surprised by Crumb's strange world of animation and expected a wild approach to the reading of Genesis.  What I did not expect to find was that Crumb wrote every literal word and illustrated accordingly from the beginning to the end of Genesis (the translation was by a Comparative Literature scholar and writer - Robert Alter).  

Although he was conservative (from a literature point of view), his animation was awesome.

THE TRANSLATION

Overall, what I read so far of Alter's translation is nothing unusual. To be honest there are conservative translations such as the Living Bible that take far more liberties with the Hebrew than Alter does. There was one very small detail which I did notice in Genesis 6, when God saw the "violence" on the earth (as most translations read), Alter interpreted the word to "outrage" instead...so the world was filled with outrage. This may be a legitimate translation, but I prefer violence because it fits more with the rest of Genesis. But this is nothing to sweat about.

THE ILLUSTRATIONS

-There is an amazing amount of detail and an incredible amount of work put into this project. I am blown away.
-Some scenes are very graphic, but then so is the Bible.
-Women are tough looking and muscular.

Not much more to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment